As the Bronte sisters (Charlotte and Anne) demonstrate, being a governess was not a wonderful occupation to hold. Both Charlotte and Anne were governesses, and both found it to be a horrid life. Women were, at the time, practically considered property of their husbands (or fathers or brothers) and if it were possible, governesses were thought to be of an even lower class.
Charlotte Bronte, who wrote Jane Eyre, based some of the novel on her experience as a governess; in her letter to Emily Bronte, Charlotte explains that “a private governess has no existence, is not considered as a living and rational being except as connected with the wearisome duties she has to fulfill” (page 560). Her claim shows just how lowly these women were thought to be, basically not even a human being with feelings and emotions. Charlotte also recounts how little her employer is interested in her, only in Charlotte's work; this greatly contrasts to my own experience as a babysitter.
Anne Bronte's Agnes Grey was also based on personal experience. In the excerpt in the text, she tells of the misdeeds of the children she is watching. After the children trash Agnes's personal belongings, they run outside into the cold, snowy afternoon and refuse to come inside on her word. The father finds her, calls in the children, and remonstrates her by telling her that "it's very strange, that when you've the care of 'em, you've no better control over 'em than that!...Do go after 'em and see them made decent" (page 563). This smart remark, along with the question posed by the grandmother ("Do you think, my dear, she's a proper person?" (page 563)) again shows the lowly position these women were thought to hold. Even when trying her best and dealing with obviously wild children, the employers merely question Agnes's propriety. This also contrasts with my experience; neither of the children are wild, and the parents also have informed the boy that I am in charge while they are not at the house (although currently I've never had an issue).
While my situation is not nearly as grotesque as theirs, I can sympathize with the Bronte sisters. I am currently babysitting an 8-year-old boy, and a (just turned) 3-month-old girl. I babysit them from 9 am-5 pm Monday – Friday. While the boy frequently amuses himself with videogames or television, I still run errands with him; take him from baseball camp to friend’s houses, for example, all with the baby in tow. I am also responsible for taking care of the baby during the day—feeding her, changing her, and keeping her happy (which is harder then it sounds). Fortunately for me, unlike with the Bronte sisters’ experience, the parents’ are kind to me, and do as much as they can to make sure that my job is as easy as possible. Also, unlike Charlotte's situtaion, both of the parents frequently ask me questions, and try to get to know me on a more personal basis--even the grandparents have come by the house in order to meet me.
Thursday, June 17, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Indeed. Women suffered from second-class citizenship, but they were then reduced to THIRD if they actually worked. I feel so bad for the governesses back then. I used the same quote (“a private governess has no existence"). These letters almost make me interested enough in Bronte to purchase Jane Eyre, but the again, I'm lazy... I'm glad to hear your situation is better! (And significantly so!)
ReplyDeleteLeanne,
ReplyDeleteVery insightful commentary on the experience of governesses, as exemplified by the Brontës's writings. Very good tie in with your own experiences, too. That connection to your baby sitting gig shows a great engagement with the text, which helps you understand it in a new way.
My hat goes off to you to keep children for that long and they are not your own children! I don't know if I could handle it. Your experience is definitely different from the Bronte's. I'm certain that society plays in a role in that difference. Women have more rights and children are highly protected today(even though both areas still need more improvement) unlike in the Britain during the centuries that the Bronte's lived in and wrote about.
ReplyDelete