Lord Byron's well-known poem, Don Juan, is frequently thought of as autobiographical, and not without reason. One can draw countless parallels between Byron's own life, and the story told by the poem; and a few are immediately visible in the small selection given in the book.
For example, as the book points out, Byron is not the first to write about Don Juan; however, he is the first to portray him as a "hero [that] belies the legacy of his name, seduced more often than seducing, [and] kindhearted rather than ruthless and conniving" (369). This, given with the, then contemporary, view of his character, allows one to infer that he was trying to discount that scandalous Casanova appearance, and replace it with one of benevolence.
Further evidence for the belief in the poem being somewhat of an autobiography can be found in Canto 1, Stanza 17 when Juan's father "[Dies] intestate, Juan was sole heir/ To a chancery suit, and messuages, and lands,/Which, with a long minority and care,/Promised to turn out will in proper hands" (page 381-lines 289-292)
These verses are similar to Byron's own life, for, at age 10, he was left the title of Lord by an uncle who died childless. Also a similarity between his own life and this passage comes from his father; while he did not die, he did leave young Byron and his mother at a young age.
Also in Canto 1, one can find a description of the lady we can infer to be Byron's lover, Countess Teresea Gamba Guiccioli. The character in the poem, Donna Julia, is described as "married, charming, chaste, and twenty-three" (line 472) and "Wedded she was some years, and to a man/ Of fifty, and such husbands are in plenty" (lines 489-490). This description of Julia is rather similar to the Countess, who was only 19, yet married to a man far beyond her age.
Lord Byron himself seemed to tease readers about the inspiration for the character of Don Juan, but frequently calling to their attention his "capricious playing with form" (369). For when even the author of the poem hints at its autobiographical tendencies, we have almost no choice but to believe that a reader of Don Juan was meant to find those parallels.
Saturday, June 5, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Leanne,
ReplyDeleteNice job of discussing some connections between Byron's life and that of Don Juan in his poem. Good selection of and commentary on specific passages from the poem, and references to material from the biographical information in our anthology. Keep up the good work.
I found reading the Don Juan poem was a struggle because of the way it was written; it dragged on a little too much for me to really grasp at any particular part. The hidden meanings behind some of the phrases were a little tricky for me to dissect and understand. From reading a bit of the background of the poem I knew it was thought to be about his life but the specifics took knowledge of Byron's past which I thought you addressed quite well. The quotes you picked really helped support the claim as well as how you connected them to his life.
ReplyDeleteLike Kaitline I also struggled wit interpreting this poem. You changed that. I get the parallels now, and I have to applaud your great use of textual evidence! Nicely done.
ReplyDeleteI saw a lot of similarities between Don Juan and Che Guevara, famous for being infamous I guess. Good post!
ReplyDeleteWhen I read this, I had background information that Don Juan was not the womenizer the legend states but one was is easily seduced. This I attributed to Lord Byron's interpretation of the mother's upbringings.
ReplyDelete